Puzzlebox Orbit - Instruction Manual: iOS
Video Instruction Manual
Preparing the Puzzlebox Orbit
- The first step before using your Puzzlebox Orbit is charge both the Orbit helicopter as well as the infrared dongle using the included USB charging cable
- Please be certain the helicopter is in the "Off" position while charging
- A red light will appear inside the USB cable itself when a connected device is fully charged
Downloading the software from the App Store
- The Puzzlebox Orbit app for Apple iOS devices can be downloaded for free directly through Apple's App Store
Building the Puzzlebox Orbit software from Source
- Alternatively, users are invited to build Puzzlebox Orbit software from source code to be installed directly onto their own Apple device
- The iOS source code can be downloaded at the following location:
- The user should be familiar with Xcode and the process for building apps and installing them to iOS devices. Apple provides many excellent materials detailing this process:
- After a successful build, the Puzzlebox Orbit software should now be installed
Connecting to the NeuroSky EEG MindWave Mobile
- If you have not already, please enable Bluetooth and pair your NeuroSky MindWave Mobile EEG headset with your device.
- The NeuroSky headset has three positions for its power switch: Off, On, and Pairing Mode. If you slide the switch past On and into Pairing Mode, you should see the blue light blink repeatedly.
- Once the blue pairing light is blinking, you can enter the "Bluetooth" menu of the iOS Settings app to search for your NeuroSky headset
- Select the device to pair and connect
Using the Puzzlebox Orbit software
- Once your EEG headset is paired you can start the Puzzlebox Orbit software
Connecting the Infrared Dongle to your Android Device
- The infrared ("IR") dongle should be plugged into the headphone jack of your iOS device
- Because control commands are issued to the IR dongle through the audio port, it is necessary to turn the volume up to the maximum level.
- Ensure the volume is at maximum after connecting the IR adapter. If you set the volume prior to plugging in the IR adapter you may only be setting the internal speaker volume, and not the headphone jack volume.
Operating the Puzzlebox Orbit Helicopter
- Press "Connect" to start receiving data from the EEG headset
- The light on the NeuroSky headset should become steady blue while it is connected to the Puzzlebox Orbit software. If at any time the light turns red it will be necessary to Disconnect and Reconnect to the headset.
- Notice the green "Signal" bar. This measures the contact quality between the ear clip and your skin.
- The Signal bar must fill completely in order for your brainwaves to be processed accurately
- If the green Signal bar does not appear or does not fill you can try moistening your earlobe with water or use an alcohol swab on the EEG sensors. It is not recommended to use water on the EEG headset
- When a clean Signal has been established, your brainwaves will be graphed in red for Attention and blue for Meditation
- Slider buttons are included on the Attention and Meditation progress bars and serve as targets for those respective mental states
- When your brainwaves are detected as having crossed either target threshold, a control signal will be sent to the Puzzlebox Orbit to take off
Additional notes on flying the Puzzlebox Orbit
- You must use the Bluetooth menu of the Settings app to connect to your EEG headset every time you want to fly your Puzzlebox Orbit.
- There is a power switch on the helicopter itself. After a couple minutes the helicopter may time out if no control signal is received. Simply power the helicopter off and back on again.
- The Puzzlebox Orbit helicopter also features a "safety mode" which is triggered whenever the helicopter crashes or the propeller blades are physically interrupted while in motion. To restore flight simply power cycle the helicopter (power off and back on again).
- A blue light appears on the IR dongle when it is activated. If the light does not appear, be certain to check the volume settings for your device.
- A button marked "Demo" is present in the software interface. Pressing this will emulate a connected EEG headset, with rising and falling Attention and Meditation levels. When these values cross the threshold marked by the sliders, a test signal will be sent to the Puzzlebox Orbit helicopter. This can be used to verify your device is configured properly. If this feature does not work, the volume level is confirmed at maximum, the IR dongle is firmly inserted into the headphone jack, and all devices are fully charged, please let us know the make and model number of your iOS device by Contacting Us