Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New orbit not hovering
12-27-2013, 08:49 AM,
New orbit not hovering
I just received my new orbit the other day and I'm having some problems with it. It does not hover in the manner I've seen on promotional videos. On the standard hover setting it shoots up into the ceiling and the knocks around for a bit before dropping down like a stone. By adjusting the throttle down below the point where it shoots up to the ceiling it shoos around on the floor in random directions crashing into things. There is nothing in between that represents controlled flight.

At the moment it seems like the helicopter is unusable. Currently no matter what flight settings are used it just smashes into things and I'm worried about damaging it. Can you suggest a fix for this or does it need to be replaced?
12-28-2013, 02:06 AM,
RE: New orbit not hovering
(12-27-2013, 08:49 AM)ejr Wrote: I just received my new orbit the other day and I'm having some problems with it. It does not hover in the manner I've seen on promotional videos.
There is nothing in between that represents controlled flight.

Thanks for writing into our forums ejr, its very helpful to answer questions publicly!

The Throttle control can indeed be quite touchy. The helicopter's infrared protocol supports 128 positions (from 0 to 127) and we expose all of these values through the slider. Most hover flight occurs between 80 and 100 (depending on battery charge level). Depending on screen size, a small motion can represent a wide range of flight characteristics.

But it should definitely be possible to fine-tune enough to find a comfortable hover. We've never previously received reports of this issue, so if we can't solve the problem here then we'll of course arrange an exchange. There may be something we need to take up with the manufacturer.

First off, we've just released a new another new update for Android this afternoon, the second in the past two days (version 1.4.9). So lets make sure you're using the latest version.

Next it would help to know which phone make and model you are using. A great way to report that is to use comment feature in the "Support" tab. We receive hardware details with each message sent. Just include your username as the sender or in the body of the message and we'll match everything up.

Third, assuming your device has a tilt sensor it might be worth trying to enable "Tilt Control" with the "Throttle Only" setting activated. Then hit the "Test Flight" button on the Fligt tab. From there tilting your device forward and backward will adjust the throttle setting. Its a bit easier to fine tune everything that way. Once you've found a reasonable hover height then you can disable tilt control and lock it in.

Generally in the videos and during public conferences we have the throttle setting just below a steady hover and will simply "bounce" the helicopter in the palm of our hand. Tossing it up should cause a slow drift back down, and that's generally what you're seeing.

Please let us know if any of the above is helpful and if not we can proceed from there.

Cheers

sc
01-15-2014, 05:21 AM,
I'm having the same problems except that mine won't go up. Unless I fling it at the ceiling, it drops to the ground immediately on takeoff, rather than hover, and speeds around the floor smashing into things. As it bounces off everything, trying to give it right/left instructions is near impossible as the position changes too quickly for myself or the program to respond (given there is up to 5 second lag).

The existing manual just tells you what the buttons do but as I have never flown anything before, the interplay between pitch, yaw and throttle mean nothing to me. I want to use the device as a teaching tool so taking long periods of time to learn flying simulation would be counterproductive - I would like the children to learn control easily and quickly so they can spend more time managing their attention spans.

It would be incredibly helpful to have a detailed video or manual on one successful test flight, for example the sequences of buttons for a successful hover, square the room and then land. Once they practice the basics, users would quickly figure out how to modify and expand on their knowledge.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone for control.

(12-27-2013, 08:49 AM)ejr Wrote: I just received my new orbit the other day and I'm having some problems with it. It does not hover in the manner I've seen on promotional videos. On the standard hover setting it shoots up into the ceiling and the knocks around for a bit before dropping down like a stone. By adjusting the throttle down below the point where it shoots up to the ceiling it shoos around on the floor in random directions crashing into things. There is nothing in between that represents controlled flight.

At the moment it seems like the helicopter is unusable. Currently no matter what flight settings are used it just smashes into things and I'm worried about damaging it. Can you suggest a fix for this or does it need to be replaced?
01-15-2014, 07:30 PM,
(01-15-2014, 05:21 AM)taram Wrote: I'm having the same problems except that mine won't go up. Unless I fling it at the ceiling, it drops to the ground immediately on takeoff, rather than hover, and speeds around the floor smashing into things. As it bounces off everything, trying to give it right/left instructions is near impossible as the position changes too quickly for myself or the program to respond (given there is up to 5 second lag).

It sounds like the default throttle setting is a little too low for your Orbit.

Try the following:
  • Power the Orbit off
  • Lay your phone or tablet on a flat surface, such as a table
  • Head over to the Advanced Options tab
  • Check off "Tilt Sensor Control"
  • Check off "Adjust Throttle Only"
  • Hit the "Hover" button to reset Yaw and Pitch
  • Go back to the Flight tab and hit "Test Flight"
  • Turn the Orbit back on, and hold it in your hand (it should start trying to fly)
  • Change back to the Advanced Options tab again and pick up your device

At this point you should notice that tilting the mobile device forward and backward cause the Throttle slider to move. Tilt it all the way forward and the Orbit's propellers should stop entirely. As you tilt it backwards you should hear the motors get louder.

Tilt your device all the way forward so the propellers stop. Place the Orbit on a flat surface, such as the floor or a table. Very slowly, start tilting your device back up. You should be able to find the exact spot between where it starts spinning and where it stops. A little past that is the point where it will take off.

If you experiment you should be able to find a point where the Orbit hovers, or at least falls very slowly. You can then throw it up in the air and bounce it on your flat palm.

Once you find this "sweet spot" turn off "Tilt Sensor Control" and hit "Land" back on the Flight tab. Your Orbit should be ready to go and will return to that setting when you use brain control.

Of course you can also just move the Throttle slider back and forth using your finger! But sometimes its easier to get a sense of the range of motion just by waving the device in your hand.

I hope that makes a bit of sense and helps with your Orbit. If not please let us know! No doubt we can find some solutions for you which can hopefully help others too.

(01-15-2014, 05:21 AM)taram Wrote: It would be incredibly helpful to have a detailed video or manual on one successful test flight, for example the sequences of buttons for a successful hover, square the room and then land. Once they practice the basics, users would quickly figure out how to modify and expand on their knowledge.

This is a very good idea!

We've been a bit overdue with new tutorial videos. There is one for getting all set up on our Instructions page:

http://orbit.puzzlebox.info/instructions/

...but it needs to be updated to match the new interface features.
02-07-2014, 08:07 AM,
Setting the throttle up while using Test did the trick - thank you! I find now that it will hover as long as I hold it in my hand for a moment at take off to make sure it is controlled.
11-25-2015, 08:16 AM,
car mot