Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I need a new orbit, if so where from?
09-02-2013, 03:32 PM,
Do I need a new orbit, if so where from?
Hi , my orbit just got unpacked from some time ago. I didn't want to pay the $100 development fee to use the apple app. So it sat with the twist ties on it until now. A couple of days ago, I checked and saw it was finally available. (The day I registered here at the forums.)

Anyways, the darn thing always wanted to hang out on the ceiling. I adjusted the the throttle, yaw, and pitch and still nada. But after adjusting it a few more times, it wouldn't leave the floor although it moved around. Even after a reset. So I figured maybe it would need recharged even thought it had maybe 10 minutes of use max. So I recharged it.

The next day, it went right back to the ceiling. So then I decided to adjust all those settings again. After the settings adjusted nothing I tuned them all to zero. Now it won't leave the floor again plus it stays in one spot even after a reset. (After like 2 min of use.) I closed the app down on my Ipad to see if that would reset the app, but nada.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I need to buy a new one? If so will any old one from Amazon do, or did you adjust something on this? If I need to buy a new one, would it be possible for me to buy something a bit more durable? $40 is a lot for maybe 20 minutes of use and mostly troubleshooting. Is there a certain model somewhere that you would suggest?
09-03-2013, 08:51 PM,
RE: Do I need a new orbit, if so where from?
(09-02-2013, 03:32 PM)Mama Katz Wrote: Hi , my orbit just got unpacked from some time ago. I didn't want to pay the $100 development fee to use the apple app. So it sat with the twist ties on it until now. A couple of days ago, I checked and saw it was finally available. (The day I registered here at the forums.)

Anyways, the darn thing always wanted to hang out on the ceiling. I adjusted the the throttle, yaw, and pitch and still nada. But after adjusting it a few more times, it wouldn't leave the floor although it moved around. Even after a reset. So I figured maybe it would need recharged even thought it had maybe 10 minutes of use max. So I recharged it.

The next day, it went right back to the ceiling.

Hello Mama Katz, thanks for posting this great question!

Someone described a similar experience recently in an email. We responded directly, but prefer to answer in our forums so users such as yourself can understand what's going on and that they're not alone!

From that email:
Quote: I think I understand the problem.

The Android version of our software dynamically generates the control signal for flying the Orbit. Specifically, under the "Advanced" options, you can adjust the throttle (height), yaw (spin), and pitch (forward/backward) motion of the Orbit. Some complex math is used to convert those settings into the control signal - the pulses of infrared lights which instruct the Orbit how to fly.

Under iOS, we're still working on porting that math. Currently the control signal is pre-recorded for iOS. We selected an handful of Orbits and found the best "average" control settings and hard-coded the software to play back that flight. However certain differences between charge state and battery composition results in slightly different performance from Orbit to Orbit. So some will fly up and hit the ceiling and others will correctly hover as intended. As the battery discharges the Orbits which hit the ceiling should go back to hovering.

Last week we made a new release of the Puzzlebox Orbit software for iOS, which includes several new features and a cleaner design. We are now focusing on the math necessary for better flight control, and expect another release to be made in 1-2 weeks time (Apple will need a few days to approve the update after it is complete).

It does not sound like a faulty helicopter!

We are addressing this feature publicly, documenting our results in the development tracker, sharing our progress in these forums, and making an invitation to other developers to have a look if they're interested in learning how this sort of software works.

Most likely our Beta testers will see this feature first, but once it is deemed stable everyone will get it automatically. Again our target is during the next two weeks.