Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Rotor, Flight Testing, and Spare Parts
07-10-2013, 12:04 AM,
Top Rotor, Flight Testing, and Spare Parts
Question received via email from user Rui:

Finally a couple of issues with my Orbit:

-The tail rotor (small rotor on top of the orbit cage) doesn't seem to work, at least while using the iOS version of the software. is there anything I should test or check to make sure it's not faulty?

-The android app running on my Nexus S with android 4.1.2 barely works. I can get the Orbit to fly using the "Test" feature sometimes (3 out of 10 attempts), but it wont respond to any of the other features (throttle, yaw, pitch, etc.). Also it never took off without hitting "Test". On my ipad mini it works great (except for that tail rotor issue).

-Where can I get spare/replacement parts for my Orbit (propeller blades, screws, etc.)? I've noticed it's quite frail, since I was able to break a propeller blade on my first 2h of fun due to an unforseen collision with the kitchen table. If I keep this up I'll need some more spares in future...

Well, that's about it for now. So, I'll be waiting to hear from you guys and I thank you in advance for the time taken with this email.

Best Regards,

Rui
07-10-2013, 01:06 AM,
RE: Top Rotor, Flight Testing, and Spare Parts
(07-10-2013, 12:04 AM)sc Wrote: Question received via email from user Rui:

Finally a couple of issues with my Orbit:

-The tail rotor (small rotor on top of the orbit cage) doesn't seem to work, at least while using the iOS version of the software. is there anything I should test or check to make sure it's not faulty?

The rotor on the top of the Puzzlebox Orbit is used for controlling "pitch" - or forward/backward flight of the helicopter.

Under iOS you will not see the top rotor turn because the flight path is hard-coded to fly up and not forward.

This is because the current version of software for iOS (1.0.1) does not yet support the same advanced flight path settings as are available under Android (1.2). Our iOS developer is hard at work porting that feature (and several new ones) to iOS currently and we expect to see the next major release of our software next month in August.

Specifically, it is necessary to use some complicated math to produce an audio file on-demand in real time as throttle, yaw, an pitch settings are adjusted. You can see the code (in Java) for the Android application here:

link: AudioService.java

(07-10-2013, 12:04 AM)sc Wrote: -The android app running on my Nexus S with android 4.1.2 barely works. I can get the Orbit to fly using the "Test" feature sometimes (3 out of 10 attempts), but it wont respond to any of the other features (throttle, yaw, pitch, etc.). Also it never took off without hitting "Test". On my ipad mini it works great (except for that tail rotor issue).

The best course to take here is to open a new ticket in our development tracker, so our programmers will become aware of and able to respond to the issue. I have created a ticket for you here:

link: http://orbit.puzzlebox.info/tracker/ticket/17

If you want to add any information or create a new ticket, you will need to register an account with your email address here:

link: Register for a tracker account

(07-10-2013, 12:04 AM)sc Wrote: -Where can I get spare/replacement parts for my Orbit (propeller blades, screws, etc.)? I've noticed it's quite frail, since I was able to break a propeller blade on my first 2h of fun due to an unforseen collision with the kitchen table. If I keep this up I'll need some more spares in future...

For the moment the best option is to send an email to support@puzzlebox.info but we will endeavour to add spare parts to our online store shortly.

Cheers