Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orbit + Mindwave + Brainstorms
07-09-2013, 11:59 PM,
Orbit + Mindwave + Brainstorms
Question received via email from user Rui:

Hi puzzlebox!

First I'd like to say that the orbit+mindwave+brainstorm combo is the ultimate plaything for geeks and engineers alike! So, congratulations and keep the cool things coming, you have a fan/customer right here!

Now, about the reason for this contact, I've bought an orbit+mindwave kit for fun and to do some tinkering. I was trying out your brainstorm software and I had some issues with it:

-Lego Mindstorms mode works (I can see brainwave readings on the UI, stuff communicates, etc.)

-R/C Helicopter mode does not work (no brainwave readings, can't connect to heli, etc.). I only tested with the Orbit.

So, my questions are:

-Can one use the Mindwave mobile headset with your brainstorm software to control R/C Helicopters?

-Can one control the Orbit helicopter from the brainstorm software?

-In case the last answer is 'Yes', can you point me to some tutorial or user guide for dummies where I can set up my Orbit on the Brainstorm?

-In case the answer is a 'No', is that due to a "hardware" issue (the Orbit is too basic for that) or a matter of software Roadmap (no time to implement that yet on your end)?

-Can one expect a Orbit "control" application (similar to the mobile app) for Win/OSX sometime in the future?
07-10-2013, 12:36 AM,
RE: Orbit + Mindwave + Brainstorms
(07-09-2013, 11:59 PM)sc Wrote: Question received via email from user Rui:

Hi puzzlebox!

First I'd like to say that the orbit+mindwave+brainstorm combo is the ultimate plaything for geeks and engineers alike! So, congratulations and keep the cool things coming, you have a fan/customer right here!

Thanks for writing Rui.

You've asked many good questions, and thank you for allowing us to respond in our forums so that others can benefit from the answers!

(07-09-2013, 11:59 PM)sc Wrote: Now, about the reason for this contact, I've bought an orbit+mindwave kit for fun and to do some tinkering. I was trying out your brainstorm software and I had some issues with it:

-Lego Mindstorms mode works (I can see brainwave readings on the UI, stuff communicates, etc.)

-R/C Helicopter mode does not work (no brainwave readings, can't connect to heli, etc.). I only tested with the Orbit.

So, my questions are:

-Can one use the Mindwave mobile headset with your brainstorm software to control R/C Helicopters?

The helicopter control in Puzzlebox Brainstorms was actually designed for an earlier Brain-Controlled Helicopter project - a precursor to the Puzzlebox Orbit. The details of that project are documented here:

link: Brain-Controlled-RC-Helicopter

(07-09-2013, 11:59 PM)sc Wrote: -Can one control the Orbit helicopter from the brainstorm software?

No, the hardware in the Blade mCX2 is very different from the Puzzlebox Orbit helicopter. Most notably the Blade helicopter uses radio signals for operation whereas the Orbit uses infrared light.

(07-09-2013, 11:59 PM)sc Wrote: -Can one expect a Orbit "control" application (similar to the mobile app) for Win/OSX sometime in the future?

Yes!

We actually have a program called "Puzzlebox Orbit for Workstations" which is currently undergoing Beta testing. When released we will support Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. You can see a preview screenshot here:

[Image: screenshot-orbit_workstation-3-orbit.png]

An announcement will be made when the release ready.

Cheers
07-10-2013, 11:29 AM,
Thumbs Down  RE: Orbit + Mindwave + Brainstorms
Ahh, I see! Ok then, things make a bit more sense now Smile Thanks for the explanation!

I'll stay tuned for new software releases, in the meantime I'll tinker a bit with my NXT's and the brainstorm software Wink
10-07-2013, 11:39 AM,
Hi Everyone,
I need to know if the Neurosky Headset (MindWave or MindWave Mobile) works with Lego NXT's 2.0 (or LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3) in Puzzlebox Brainstorm? If it is YES, what do? Front & Back / Right & Left? ... and where I can find the istructions to do configure it?
Wait your suggestions.
10-15-2013, 07:41 AM,
(10-07-2013, 11:39 AM)Massimo Italy Wrote: I need to know if the Neurosky Headset (MindWave or MindWave Mobile) works with Lego NXT's 2.0 (or LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3) in Puzzlebox Brainstorm? If it is YES, what do? Front & Back / Right & Left? ... and where I can find the istructions to do configure it?

Yes, all NeuroSky EEG headsets are supported by Puzzlebox Brainstorms, although to receive the data you need to use a server such as Puzzlebox Synapse or NeuroSky's ThinkGear Connector to translate the EEG readings.

LEGO's NXT 2.0 programmable Mindstorms units have been tested with the software, EV3 has not (although if the EV3 protocol is backwards compatible it should still work).

You can find instructions in the Puzzlebox Brainstorms development tracker:

http://brainstorms.puzzlebox.info/tracker

The Brainstorms software operates similar to the Puzzlebox Orbit software in that you can associate a given direction of control with one algorithm, for example using attention as a throttle to set the speed of motors driving a robot. Brainstorms also features blink detection to change which direction is currently selected. Three eyeblinks in a row is the default command to select a new direction.